If you want to follow Christ: Believe
For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes will not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
Believe what, you ask?
- Believe that you are not perfect:
Everyone has sinned. No one measures up to God’s glory. (Rom 3:23)
- Believe that without Christ you will die with no hope.
For the wages of sin is death: but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 6:23)
- Believe that you cannot work your way into heaven, He did it for you:
But God demonstrates His love towards us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)
- Believe that He is the only way, that He loves you and that He is alive:
Say with your mouth “Jesus is Lord” believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, then you will be saved. With your heart you believe and are made right with God. With your mouth you say what you believe. And so are saved. (Romans 10:9-10)
We are excited that you are interested in baptism. Baptism is an important step of obedience for every person who has believed and acknowledged Christ as his or her Savior.
Who Should Be Baptized?
The blood of Jesus Christ, shed on the cross, provides the sole basis for the forgiveness of sin. Therefore, salvation occurs only when a person places his or her faith in the death and resurrection of Christ as the sufficient payment for his or her sin.
If you have acknowledged Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, then you are ready to be baptized. Just like a bride and groom show others their love for one another by wearing wedding bands, your baptism is your opportunity to show others that you have accepted Christ and are now walking with Him.
What Baptism Symbolizes
Baptism is a way of showing others that you have entered into a relationship with Jesus Christ.
Baptism represents that you:
1) Accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
2) Share in His death and resurrection, illustrated by going under the water (dead to your old life), then rising again (into your new life).
3) Are symbolically washed clean, and your sins were forgiven by His death on the cross.
Because Jesus instructed us to be baptized, baptism is an act of obedience. While it is not necessary for salvation, it demonstrates submission to God. We immerse you in water at FBC Castroville because Scripture shows that Jesus modeled that for us as the way to publicly acknowledge our faith in Him.